BUDGET DEVELOPMENT: As we move past the latest holiday celebration and look ahead . . . this is the time of year where we begin the relatively lengthy budget development process. On the surface it appears to begin with a conversation and discussion internally with school staff and ends in the voting booth with the community. In reality, the budget process actually spans typically across 3 different school years. We are often working in the previous year with carry-over funds and appropriations; we are obviously handling day-to-day operations (including ordering materials, equipment, salaries, fuel for buses, etc.), and we are utilizing our Strategic Plan as a mechanism to link our mission, vision, beliefs and goals to the student needs and planning for the following school year(s). Below is our budget development calendar with several significant milestones:
- November 9, 2015: Board Reviews Budget Calendar
- November 23, 2015: Board Approves Budget Calendar
- November 24, 2015: District Distributes Budget Materials to Budget Originators
- December 17, 2015: Budget Kick-Off Meeting with Budget Advisory Team
- December, January & February: B.A.T. Meetings
- February 5, 2016: Draft of Budget Presentation
- February 22, 2016: Budget Presentation to Board of Education
- February 26, 2016: Submit Tax Levy Limit to Office of State Comptroller
- March 7, 2016: Budget Review with Board
- March 14, 2016: Possible Budget Workshop with Board
- March 21, 2016: Budget Review with Board
- March 28, 2016: Possible Budget Workshop with Board
- April 4, 2016: Adopt Budget and Property Tax Report Card
- May 2, 2016: Post Budget Statement to Website & School Bell
- May 9, 2016: Public Hearing on Proposed Budget
- May 17, 2016: NYS Public School Vote
CELEBRATIONS: From the perspective of student achievement, this fall has been a tremendous success. The LHS Marching Band had another very successful season - culminating with an exciting finish at the Carrier Dome. The Liverpool sport's programs finished the fall season with a multitude of winning programs . . . including girl's field hockey, girl's cross-country, boy's and girl's soccer, girl's swimming, tennis, golf, cheerleading, as well as boy's and girl's volleyball.
Two teams we are especially excited about as they concluded their season(s) are the Varsity Football Team and the Boy's Cross-Country Team. The Football Team ended their fall campaign on Saturday, November 21st losing to Aquinas Institute of Rochester (the eventual NYS Champion). The team lost their bid for a state title by losing 17-16. By the way, many folks have suggested the 2015 AA Football Championship was play at CNS High School between Liverpool High School and Aquinas Institute. Aquinas won the state title by defeating Saratoga on Sunday, November 28th - by a score of 44-19 (although, Aquinas ended the 3rd quarter leading 44-0).
The other team of significance is the Boy's Varsity Cross-Country Team . . . New York State Champions . . . also NYS Federation Champions - led by Senior (West Point bound) Ben Petrella. The team will head to the Nike Center in Oregon on Wednesday, December 2nd to compete in the National High School X-C Meet.
We are now looking ahead to an exciting winter season with competition kicking off this week.
Good Luck to all of our Warrior Teams!